About Me

My photo
Indiana, United States
I'm a mother of five of my own children, very blessed adoptive mommy to one, step mother to three! Married to a wonderful man who forgives ALOT! Grammy to 6!I also have the best "kids in law" that I could have! I am blessed to be able to baby sit for our grandchildren a few days a week. I am blessed to be able to NOW stay home full time to take care of our home, children, and grandchildren!!

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Dentist and Bargains of the Week!!...and dead chickens

What is it about having a huge...or seemingly huge...drill in your mouth accompanied by smoke that is just not terribly comforting? Yeah...that's what I was faced with at 7am this morning! And to think that we actually PAY for dentists to do this stuff!!!

I broke one of my back teeth a few weeks ago and was waiting until the wedding was over with to get it fixed. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...or as I fearfully imagined that it would be! As my kids call it, I kept trying to "go to my happy place" during the drilling but the man with the big drill kept interfering! But there was relatively no pain...but I just get "creeped out," another of my girls' favorite sayings! I have this fear/terror of going to the dentist. But it's all over now. WHEW!

There was a really good deal this week at Kroger's. They had Tyson boneless skinless chicken breasts for $1.98 a pound. (I liked the days when I could buy them for $1.67 a pound...but those are long gone, I suspect...) I had 26 $1.00 off coupons for them! I dug around and found the smallest packages of chicken...usually around $3.00 - $3.50 per package. So I got $1.00 off each of those packages! What a deal! They are all in our freezer now except for one that I am going to grill and put in our salad for supper tonight. I am pretty excited about stocking our freezer with chicken breasts for such bargains! (I also cut each of the chicken breasts in half so that makes the meat go farther in our family. Sometimes I slice them before I cook it and it REALLY goes farther then! I only use about 1 1/2 pounds for supper for 5-6 people.)

I really like having chicken breasts instead of bone in or whole chickens. First of all, as much as I like to PRETEND that I am from Pioneer Stock...and I am, really!...the whole chicken just kind of "grosses me out." I've done it plenty of times, skinned the chicken, pulled it off the bone but it still makes me cringe. I'd just prefer to have boneless breasts instead! My husband is just as bad. He can't stand to have the bones on his plate. So, we're a good match, huh?
My grandmother would just be shaking her head at me, wagging her finger, and then telling all my aunts about my inability to handle dead chickens. After all, she was the one who would wring the chickens' necks and then pluck them, clean them....ewwww.....etc.....

When I was growing up, our chicken were ONLY for gathering eggs...they were more like pets and WE DON'T EAT OUR PETS! I'd prefer the kind of chicken that you can no longer identify as little chickies...I'd have been a total vegetarian if it were up to me to do what my old grandma did! Yuck.....

I bought some more fresh strawberries as well. I don't have a bit of a problem cutting them up...or cutting their little "heads" off!! I got them for $1.25 a pound. I'm not sure that is such a wonderful price but I will be glad that I have them in the freezer this winter, I think! We have bags of them already and now we have a few more to freeze tomorrow. We just wash them, dry them off as well as we can, layer them on a cookie sheet to put in the freezer. Then the next day, when they are all frozen hard, I place each of them into freezer bags. I can then pour out however many I need when I use them later on. My mom has always done that with her raspberries and blackberries as well.

I guess sweet corn was on sale as well...but I forgot to get some! RATS! My husband and step son would have been so happy with me! Maybe I can get some later on to blanch and cut from the cob and freeze.

Well, that's my big bargains and big happenings for the day! We did have a good time at the grocery store...we had the precious little grandbaby with us. It was fun also because several different people asked my two daughters if they were twins! (They are 4 years apart...12 years old and 16 years old!) They have started to really resemble each other. That has been a question that they have been asked very often the last few weeks! So we got a lot of laughs and conversation together from it. I love being with my kids!

By the way, yesterday the house was full of our kids and grandkids all day. It was wonderful. There were almost no arguments and everyone agreed to our newly instated rule cutting back on tv time in our home. I actually rewarded good behavior last night by giving them a little bit more time. (and then I realized that the dishes weren't done and I wondered why I was such a pushover????) Oh well....small baby steps........

4 comments:

  1. You did do good at the grocery store. I wish we had a Kroger but the nearest one is about 28 miles away. When I went, I liked the 10 for $10 deals. This was a couple of years ago, maybe they don't do it now.
    Also thanks for your kind words on my blog. Now, I am going to continue reading the next entries on yours and see the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, it's been along time since I came to visit, I have had too much going on and some times I get far behind because I forget who I commented to and who I didn't, not to mention my husband is home this week, and that just adds to my lack of routine...LOL! I hope you are doing well and I'm going to have to go back and read more of your posts to see how all the 4H stuff went. I think you had a wedding in there too?? that I need to read about..I read this post...I'm so with you about not cutting a chicken up, I can handle the bones like with eating fried chicken but when it comes to cutting one it is way nasty!!! I like kroger but by the time I get over there for sales, they are usually picked over...People here must get up really early and I'm just not a morning person. I like Jewel, I bought some cherries last week and omgosh were they wonderful, they were huge and you could get two bites out of one....Well I better get going, it never fails when I get on the computer and hubby is home all I hear is Hun!!! where is........when are you....did you......could you....etc....I love it!!! have a great day! hugs, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much and congrats to you too! I love my bread machine...and my tractors! *giggles*

    God bless~
    Mrs. G

    ReplyDelete
  4. (and then I realized that the dishes weren't done and I wondered why I was such a pushover????)

    HAHA!!! This is the main reason why Liberty isn't potty trained all the way yet. I'm such a pushover!

    ReplyDelete